Are there Hidden clues to A Colossal Discovery?
The Pokémon franchise has been around for quite a long time, so it stands to reason that there would be some crossover between the Main Series games and Pokémon GO. Some of the similarities are subtle; some are blatant; however, it’s clear they exist… One example of a possible hidden clue is that of Regigigas. Obtaining it in the Main Series, and what it looks like could be stacking up to A Colossal Discovery.
Regigigas in the Main Series
Regigigas made its first appearance in the Main Series games in Pokémon Diamond and Pearl, and then again later in Pokémon Platinum. Let’s take a look at how it was unlocked in both.
Diamond and Pearl
To obtain Regigigas in Diamond and Pearl required you to follow a series of steps:
- Transfer Regirock, Regice, and Registeel to Diamond and Pearl from Pokémon Emerald, Pokémon Sapphire, or Pokémon Ruby.
- Go to Snowpoint City and go to the temple. You will be granted access after you defeat the Elite 4 and Champion.
- Have Regirock, Regice, and Registeel in your battle party.
- Make your way to the bottom floor, Regigigas will then appear for you to catch.
Obtaining Regigigas in Platinum required you to follow these steps:
- Transfer Regirock, Regice, and Registeel from Emerald, Sapphire, or Ruby OR have them traded to you in Platinum.
- Place them in your party IN ORDER (Regirock, Regice, then Registeel)
- Head to Snowpoint Temple.
- Proceed to the bottom floor, where you will encounter Regigigas.
Alternatively, a special “Movie Version” of Regigigas could be obtained in one of two ways.
- Pre-ordering tickets for Giratina and the Sky Warrior allowed players to receive a Regigigas from June 20, to August 31, 2008.
- Visit an American Toys “R” Us store between March 8th and March 21st, 2009, then Regigigas will be yours!
Regigigas in Pokémon GO
Once released in Pokémon GO, there will be two ways to add Regigigas to your Pokédex.
The first option, being for those willing to spend some cash on a Special Event Ticket, will start November 2nd when A Special Research story event: A Colossal Discovery becomes available.
Those choosing to forego a ticket, not to worry, you can still obtain Regigigas at a later time from Ex Raids starting in November.
A Colossal Discovery
This event will take place on November 2, 2019, from 11:00 AM – 7:00 PM (local time). It will be unlocked via a ticket Trainers can purchase through the in-game shop (Cannot be purchased with Coins).
For those who choose to partake, a special in-game medal will be awarded, along with 10 free Raid Passes, an Unova Stone, a Sinnoh Stone, an exclusive Avatar Pose, and most importantly, early access to encounter Regigigas.
It is still unknown as to exactly how Regigigas will be encountered or caught in Pokémon GO. However, it is known that Regirock, Regice, and Registeel will be the 5-star Raid Bosses available during the Special Research event.
This information, along with 10 Raid Passes as part of your purchase, leads us to believe that the Regi-trio might play a significant role in the Special Research tasks and so the crossover begins.
It could be that the tasks include catching one of each of the trio. This allows Trainers who currently do not have any or all of them to add them to their Pokédex. Additionally, it also correlates a bit to unlocking Regigigas as it was done in the Main Series.
Let’s dive further down this Buneary hole for just a second, shall we?
This is definitely a bunch of “What Ifs” but, what if those participating in the Special Event were required to fight the Team Go Rocket characters (like the Elite 4) for one of the tasks as well? Perhaps this is a stretch, but we’re having a little fun and speculating about possible hidden clues here. lol
If you played the main series games, you are surely starting to see some similarities between them and Pokémon go. What is hidden in the future remains to be seen, but one thing is for certain, we are entering a very exciting period in our beloved game; Main Series and Pokémon GO are fusing. Whether your a fan of one, or a fan of both, excitement is in the air!