Buddy Adventure just dropped, and so far, it is becoming one of the best features ever!
It is, as we expected, a more immersive buddy interaction with a list of daily tasks to perform with your buddy, as well as what we have wanted for a while… buddy Pokémon following us on the map. There are already a lot of tips and tricks that have been discovered, as well as a few FAQs that we hope to list out here!
About Buddy Adventure
Buddy Adventure is all about you hanging out with your Pokémon and developing a bond that will benefit both of you in the long run. Below is a list of the tasks that you can perform daily with your buddy to increase your affection, aka ‘Buddy Friendship’ with your Pokémon.
|Normal||With Poffin/20+ Gym Spins*|
|Walk 2 KM Together (3x per day limit)||3 Hearts|
|Give your buddy a treat (3x per day limit)||3 Hearts|
|Play together||1 Heart|
|Battle together||1 Heart|
|Take a snapshot||1 Heart|
|Visit a new place||1 Heart|
You can fill up this entire page once each day, gathering a total of 10-20 Hearts per day.
300 Hearts are needed to hit Best Friends. (meaning, 30 days total with having done every interaction, every day.)
The most difficult for some will be registering 6km to the game every day, as well as visiting a new place. (although spinning a Gym you have previously visited before the Buddy System was implemented seems to work for this.)
These tasks also make it difficult to level up several different buddies on the same day, but the other tasks are easy enough to be done several times a day.
Your buddy’s mood also goes up with the more affection you earn, and when your buddy reaches the excited mood, all actions receive double hearts, the buddy candy requirement cuts in half, and trainers can earn bonus hearts.
Speaking of leveling up several buddies at once, you can only change your buddy 20 times a day, and the game reminds you of this every time you make an attempt to swap, so choose carefully.
Similarly, the Best Friend bonus that was outlined in the original blog post is only active as long as your Pokémon is still your buddy, so you cannot have several buff Pokémon at the same time.
You can see more information on buddy levels and perks here: Buddy Adventure Announced
|Walk together – Walk around with a Pokémon set as your buddy on the Map. Your buddy will only appear on the Map when its hunger meter is full, and will remain on the Map until the hunger meter is fully depleted.|
|Give your buddy a treat – Feed your buddy a Berry or Poffin in AR or Quick Treat mode. Feeding your buddy fills up their hunger meter.|
|The Hunger Meter appears at the top of the screen in AR and Quick Treat modes and indicates how much your buddy needs to eat before it appears on the Map with you. When your buddy’s hunger meter fills up, you will receive an Affection heart. If you feed your buddy a Poffin, you will automatically earn the maximum daily number of Affection hearts in this category. Your buddy’s hunger meter depletes over time, so feed them periodically to keep it from depleting!|
|Play together – Tap your buddy in AR mode and pet them with your finger for a few seconds until you see them spin and jump with delight.|
|Battle together – Engage in a Gym, Raid, Team GO Rocket, or Trainer Battle with your buddy.|
Take a snapshot – Take a photo of your buddy in AR mode while playing with your buddy alone or with friends.
|Visit a new place – While your buddy is on the Map with you, visit a PokéStop or Gym you’ve never visited before and spin its Photo Disk to earn an Affection heart. PokéStops you haven’t previously visited are surrounded by white rings, which disappear after you spin their Photo Disks.|
|Bonus – You’ll occasionally see an additional activity called Bonus on the Buddy Profile page. This activity will only be visible upon receiving an Affection heart in this category. You’ll receive a Bonus heart when your buddy gives you a present or Souvenir, or if you visit a PokéStop or Gym that your buddy wants to visit.|
|Presents contain useable items like Berries or Potions, and Souvenirs are collectible items stored on your Buddy Profile screen that serve as reminders of all the places you’ve traveled with your buddy.|
Leveling up / Feeding your buddy
- To battle with your buddy, when fighting a gym, you may have to battle a few times to get the effect.
- To fill the hunger meter, you have to feed your buddy any 3 berries, 2 Golden Razz berries, or 2 Silver Pinap berries.
- Poffins, bought in the shop for 100 coins, instantly max the hunger bar and cause your buddy to become excited.
- To play with your Pokémon, you can swipe your finger over their body to pet them in a very main series Pokémon Amie fashion. They will glow and show a heart animation when you have successfully pet enough.
- Your buddy will follow you on the map as long as their hunger bar is full. When their hunger bar depletes, you can feed them more berries to get them back.
- It takes 10 Hearts to reach Level 1 Friendship, 70 for Level 2, 150 for Level 3, and 300 for Level 4.
Interacting with your buddy improves their Mood. Your buddy’s Mood is determined by how frequently and recently you’ve interacted with them. Moods decrease over time, so you’ll need to keep interacting with your buddy to keep their Mood up. Shown below are all possible Moods from least to most positive:
Buddy Levels & Perks
- Adventure with Buddy – Your buddy will appear on the Map when you’ve fed them enough to fill up their hunger meter. While on the Map, your buddy will earn Candy at a reduced walking distance.
- Readable Mood – The Mood indicator appears on the Buddy Profile screen, and you can now achieve Excited Mood. If your buddy is on the Map, you can also tap your buddy to see its Mood.
- Catch Assist – When a Pokémon you’re trying to catch hits a Poké Ball back at you during an Encounter, there’s a chance your buddy will help you out by bouncing the Poké Ball back at the Pokémon.
- Presents – While exploring with your buddy, your buddy may pick up consumable items like Berries and Potions and deliver them to you as presents. You’ll receive a notification when your buddy finds a present, and you can open the present while playing with them in AR mode. Opening the present will grant an Affection heart in the “Bonus” category.
- Souvenirs – Your buddy can now gift you Souvenirs. The kinds of Souvenirs your buddy will find vary depending on your environment, and each Souvenir indicates the location where your buddy found it. Receiving a Souvenir will grant an Affection heart in the “Bonus” category.
- Find Locations – Your buddy may draw your attention to a nearby PokéStop they find interesting. If you visit the PokéStop and spin its Photo Disk while there is an indicator above the PokéStop, you will earn bonus items and an Affection heart in the “Bonus” category.
- CP Boost – While set as your buddy, your Pokémon gains a CP Boost, making it more powerful in Raids, Gym Battles, Team GO Rocket, and Trainer Battles. The CP Boost won’t be applied if the Pokémon isn’t currently set as your buddy.
- Best Buddy Ribbon – Your buddy now wears a special ribbon indicating you’ve reached Best Buddy status.
|Best Buddy Ribbon|
Tips and tricks
- If you turn off AR+ in the Pokémon Go Settings, you can still interact with your buddy if you are in a place where using AR+ is not easy to do.
- There is a one-hour cooldown for the ‘Give your buddy a treat’ quest. To get around this, you can swap your buddy in and out and give them a new treat every time. This does reset your distance walked, so if you are planning on doing this to max your buddy’s treat bar, do not start walking first.
- Since you can change your buddy 20 times a day, you can spread your resources into leveling up both your favorite buddies, as well as meta-relevant Pokémon that you want to have the CP boost for at Best Friends.