Trainers, the time has come! Mega Evolutions have officially arrived in Pokémon GO! Niantic has just announced on the Pokémon GO Official Blog that the long-awaited Mega Evolution feature is now LIVE! To begin with, Venusaur, Charizard, Blastoise, and Beedrill will have their Megas available. We will also get a new Special Research, Avatar Items, and September will be Mega Month! Let’s take a look at all we know so far!
Mega Evolutions in Pokémon GO
Select Pokémon can Mega Evolve using a newly discovered resource called Mega Energy. You can collect this mysterious substance by completing Mega Raids, which are Raid Battles that feature Mega-Evolved Pokémon. It seems the faster you defeat a Raid Boss, the more Mega Energy you’ll receive for that Pokémon. You can Mega Evolve any of your Venusaur, Charizard, Blastoise, and Beedrill once you have enough of their corresponding Mega Energy! Some of these Pokémon are appearing in Mega Raids too. After you’ve Mega Evolved a Pokémon, the Mega Energy required to Mega Evolve that specific Pokémon will decrease from then onward. *Note: For Pokémon that have 2 Mega Evolutions you will need to do this for each form.
- Shadow and Clone Pokémon cannot be Mega Evolved.
- You can have only one Mega-Evolved Pokémon at a time.
- Mega Evolutions will last for 4 hours.
- If you Mega Evolve another Pokémon, it appears that the first Mega-Evolved Pokémon will revert back to its original form.
- A new Mega Pokédex will be available to help you keep track of all of the Pokémon that can Mega Evolve and the ones that you’ve successfully Mega Evolved.
- If a Pokémon has 2 Mega Evolutions, you will have both forms available to select from when Mega Evolving but, you may only choose one.
- Mega Evolving a Pokémon requires Mega Energy. After Mega Evolving a Pokémon for the first time, the Mega Energy cost for that particular Pokémon will decrease. It will decrease only once, but it will remain decreased for the future.
- Example: After you Mega Evolved a Venusaur for the first time, the permanent cost decrease will apply to that specific Venusaur only, not all other Venusaur you Mega Evolve from that moment on.
- At launch, Mega Energy will only be obtainable from Mega Raids and the Special Research for Mega Beedrill.
- Movesets for Mega Evolved Pokémon will not change.
- It is unknown at this time how much XP Mega Raids will award you.
- Costume Pokémon will lose their costumes while Mega Evolved, however, they will get them back when they revert to normal.
Explore with your Mega-Evolved Pokémon
Mega-Evolved Pokémon in the world of Pokémon GO stay in their Mega-Evolved forms for a limited time—even outside of battle! While your Pokémon is Mega-Evolved, try doing the following with it.
- Battle in raids. All other Trainers’ Pokémon in the raid will receive an attack boost, and Pokémon whose attack types are the same type as any of the Mega-Evolved Pokémon’s types will receive an additional attack boost for those attacks. Please note that Pokémon can benefit from attack boosts from only one Mega-Evolved Pokémon at a time.
- The attack boost will remain active only while the Mega Evolved Pokémon remains on the battlefield, once it faints you will need to revive for the boost to re-activate.
- More than one Mega Evolved Pokémon can be in a Raid at the same time, however, the attack boost will not stack and only be applied once.
- Remote invites will be available for Mega Raids.
- Battle in Gyms. Note that Mega-Evolved Pokémon can’t defend Gyms.
- Battle Team GO Rocket.
- Battle your friends—Mega-Evolved Pokémon are extremely strong! Note that Mega-Evolved Pokémon currently cannot battle in the GO Battle League, but that might change in the future as we discover more about Mega Evolution!
- Make it your buddy to see it on the map, play with it, and feed it!
- Take a snapshot! Be sure to share snapshots of your Mega-Evolved Pokémon on social media using #GOsnapshot!
Mega Bracelet avatar item
Avatar items inspired by Mega Bracelets are now available in the shop! Trainers in some regions wear Mega Bracelets to help their Pokémon Mega Evolve, but in the world of Pokémon GO, only Mega Energy is required. Feel free to wear one, but you don’t need to for your Pokémon to be able to Mega Evolve.
Mega Evolution–themed Special Research
Mega Evolution–themed event
You can look forward to a Mega September event, Trainers! There will be three weeks of Mega Evolution–themed events and features for you to enjoy. Keep a lookout for more details soon, but here’s a look at what each week will be about.
- From Tuesday, September 1, 2020, to Monday, September 7, 2020, your goal will be to complete as many Mega Raids as you can! Gather Mega Energy to Mega Evolve your Pokémon and feel like a hero in your Raid Battles!
- From Friday, September 11, 2020, to Thursday, September 17, 2020, hone your battle skills with your Mega-Evolved Pokémon. Take part in Gym battles, Team GO Rocket battles, and Trainer Battles (excluding GO Battle League battles).
- From Tuesday, September 22, 2020, to Monday, September 28, 2020, become buddies with your Mega-Evolved Pokémon and spend time with it! Be sure to take snapshots and share them with us on social media using #GOsnapshot.
Mega Evolutions are arguably the most wished for and anticipated feature to hit Pokémon GO perhaps ever. From our first glance, it appears that Niantic has not disappointed in how they will be implemented. How they will affect the meta exactly is yet to be known, but look for a followup article soon detailing where these Mega Evolutions all rank.