Trainers! GO Battle League Season 3 has been announced! Just like Season 2, Season 3 will have changes to the reward and ranking system, as well as new Cups and changes to Pokémon moves! Additionally, there will be two GO Battle League-themed events lined up for Season 3! Let’s get it on!
GBL SEASON 2 RECAP & REWARDS
Season 2 has finally come to an end! If you managed to reach rank 10, you’ve unlocked a new Avatar Pose. The Premier Cup made its debut, and was popular enough that it will also be coming back for Season 3! Also announced was an amazing statistic. ONE BILLION Trainer Battles have now been completed in GO Battle League!
What about the rewards? Niantic addressed that as well. Here is the exact quote from the blog post.
Once Season 3 begins on Monday, July 27, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PDT (GMT −7), your end-of-season rewards for Season 2 will be available on the Battle screen! You can expect similar end-of-season rewards for Season 2 as those for Season 1, except that you’ll receive an Elite Fast TM instead of Elite Charged TM if you reached rank 7 or higher!
GBL SEASON 3: WHAT STAYS?
- There will not be a walking requirement in order to battle in the GO Battle League.
- The Friendship level requirement for battling remotely will remain at Good Friends throughout Season 3. Remember that you can scan another Trainer’s QR code to battle them, no matter where they are.
- The avatar items inspired by Pikachu Libre will continue to be rank 7 rewards.
- The battles, wins, and ratings required to reach ranks will remain the same.
GBL SEASON 3: WHAT'S NEW?
- More Cups will be added! In addition to the Ultra League Premier Cup, we’re introducing the Flying Cup, where only Flying-type Pokémon will be allowed! The Flying Cup will be available during an upcoming event—more details to come!
- Based on Trainer feedback, we’ve decided to remove the Battle Until You Win feature for Season 3.
- Your guaranteed reward encounters will be a bit different for Season 3. At each listed rank, you’ll encounter these Pokémon:
- Pidgeot starting at rank 1
- Galarian Zigzagoon starting at rank 4
- Galarian Farfetch’d starting at rank 7
- Rufflet starting at rank 8
- Scraggy starting at rank 9
- Pikachu Libre starting at rank 10
- If you reach rank 10, you’ll earn a brand-new avatar pose and avatar item!
- For the premium rewards track, you’ll now earn Rare Candies after your fourth win. The number of Rare Candies rewarded will be reduced from eight to six.
- Trainers who finish Season 3 at rank 7 or higher will receive an Elite Charged TM rather than an Elite Fast TM. Besides that change, end-of-season rewards will stay the same as in Season 2.
GO Battle League Season 3 timeline
- The Great League will run from Monday, July 27, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. to Monday, August 10, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PDT (GMT −7).
- The Ultra League and Premier Cup will run from Monday, August 10, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. to Monday, August 24, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PDT (GMT −7). This Premier Cup will have a 2500 CP limit.
- The Master League and Premier Cup will run from Monday, August 24, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. to Monday, September 7, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PDT (GMT −7). This Premier Cup will have no CP limit.
- All three leagues and the Premier Cup will be available from Monday, September 7, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. to Monday, September 14, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PDT (GMT −7).
- Season 4 will begin Monday, September 14, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PDT (GMT −7).
UPDATES TO EXISTING ATTACKS
The following existing attacks have been updated in Trainer Battles:
Drill Peck: This Flying-type Charged Attack now deals more damage.
Brave Bird: This Flying-type Charged Attack now deals more damage. It also severely lowers the user’s Attack.
Infestation: This Bug-type Fast Attack now generates energy more quickly.
Hex: This Ghost-type Fast Attack now generates energy more quickly.
Powder Snow: This Ice-type Fast Attack now deals more damage.
Blizzard: This Ice-type Charged Attack now deals more damage.
Flash Cannon: This Steel-type Charged Attack now requires more energy.
Focus Blast: This Fighting-type Charged Attack now deals less damage.
Moonblast: This Fairy-Type Charged Attack now has a decreased chance of lowering your opponent’s Attack.
The following existing attacks have been updated for Gym battles and raids.
- Drill Peck: This Flying-type Charged Attack now deals more damage.
- Brave Bird: This Flying-type Charged Attack now deals more damage.
- Hex: This Ghost-type Fast Attack now generates energy more quickly.
The following Pokémon can learn an attack they couldn’t before.
- Braviary and Close Combat: Braviary can use this attack to make opposing Rock- and Steel-type Pokémon more dependent on Protect Shields.
- Abomasnow and Ice-type Weather Ball: This Ice-type Charged Attack is fitting for a Pokémon that appears when it’s snowy.
- Pelipper and Water-type Weather Ball: This Water-type Charged Attack is fitting for a Pokémon that appears when it’s rainy.
- Empoleon and Drill Peck: Empoleon can use this attack to make Fighting-type Pokémon more dependent on Protect Shields.
SO LONG SEASON 2
Holy moly that was a ton of info, did you keep up? No worries, we’re still processing as well. Good to see that Niantic keeps on making adjustments to balance out the Trainer Battle experience more for the upcoming GBL Season 3.
Prepare for battle, Trainers, and good luck in Season 3!