Trainers! GO Battle League Season 2 has been announced! Along with GBL Season 2, changes to the reward and ranking system are coming, as well as an update to Trainer Battles and Pokémon moves! Let’s dive in, there’s a lot to discuss!
GBL SEASON 1 REWARDS
When Season 2 begins on Monday, May 11, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PDT (GMT −7), be sure to check out the Battle screen to receive your end-of-season rewards, including an Elite Charged TM if you reached rank 7 or higher! With that said, let’s take a look at how GBL Season 2 will look.
GBL SEASON 2: WHAT STAYS?
- The walking and PokéCoin requirements to unlock sets of battles in the GO Battle League will remain removed. Free Battles for everyone!
- The avatar items inspired by Pikachu Libre will continue to be rank 7 rewards. Time to put on that tank top and mask!
- Metagross and Pikachu Libre will continue to be guaranteed reward encounters when you reach rank 1 and rank 10 respectively. Will you get your hands on Pikachu Cena uhm Libre?
- The avatar items inspired by Steven Stone, a Pokémon League Champion of the Hoenn region, will continue to be rank 10 rewards. Woohoo, another shot at getting those awesome Steven rewards!
GBL SEASON 2: WHAT CHANGES?
- The GO Battle League reward system has been changed slightly. You can now earn a Pokémon reward encounter after your third win on the basic rewards track or after your first win on the premium rewards track. Encountering Pokémon just got easier!
- The ranking system has been adjusted. More wins are now required to get to ranks 4, 5, 6, and 7. Reaching rank 10 will take a bit longer!
- If you reach rank 10, you’ll earn a new avatar pose!
- Trainers who finish Season 2 at rank 7 or higher will receive an Elite Fast TM rather than an Elite Charged TM. Other than that, end-of-season rewards will stay the same as in Season 1. Time to get your favorite legacy Fast Attack, Trainers!
- Some of your guaranteed reward encounters will be different for Season 2. You’ll encounter these Pokémon at each listed rank:
- Stunfisk starting at rank 4.
- Rufflet starting at rank 8.
- Scraggy starting at rank 9.
GBL SEASON 2: PREMIER CUP
Additionally, the first-ever GO Battle League Cup—the Premier Cup—will run concurrently with the Master League! Like the Master League, the Premier Cup won’t have a limit on Combat Power. However, Legendary and Mythical Pokémon won’t be eligible to participate. Otherwise, everything else about the format will stay the same, including the way ranks and ratings are determined. We hope the Premier Cup will add a fun flavor to Season 2!
Hype, a GBL Cup! We’re very excited to see how this new addition will work out, and I’m sure we’re not the only ones. We can’t wait!
GO Battle League Season 2 timeline
- The Great League will run from Monday, May 11, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. to Monday, June 1, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PDT (GMT −7).
- The Ultra League will run from Monday, June 1, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. to Monday, June 22, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PDT (GMT −7).
- The Master League will run from Monday, June 22, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. to Monday, July 6, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PDT (GMT −7).
- The Premier Cup will run from Monday, June 22, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. to Monday, July 6, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PDT (GMT −7).
- All three leagues and the Premier Cup will be available from Monday, July 6, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. to Monday, July 13, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PDT (GMT −7).
- Season 3 will begin Monday, July 13, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PDT (GMT −7).
UPDATES TO TRAINER BATTLES
With Season 2, an update to Trainer Battles, in general, will be made. You can expect the following:
- Trainers will be able to initiate Trainer Battles via QR Code from anywhere, regardless of the Trainers’ Friendship level or distance. It’s currently unclear whether this change is temporary or definitive.
- For Trainer Battles with friends, the Friendship level requirement will remain lowered so you can send battle invites to Trainers you are at least Good Friends with. Originally, you could send battle invites only to Trainers you were at least Ultra Friends with.
UPDATES TO POKÉMON ATTACKS
Wild Charge — This Electric-type Charged Attack now requires less Energy, will do more damage, and has a chance to sharply lower the user’s Defense stat.
Palkia and Aqua Tail — Aqua Tail gives Palkia a powerful Water-type Charged Attack that charges quickly, helping Palkia stand out from the other Legendary Dragon types in the Master League and making Shield decisions tougher for opponents.
This is a HUGE upgrade to Palkia. With Aqua Tail, a super spammy move with high Shield pressure, it finally gets to play with the big boys!
SEASON 2 SENSATIONS
Yeehaa that was a ton of info, did you keep up? No worries, we’re still processing as well. Good to see that Niantic keeps on making adjustments to balance out the Trainer Battle experience more for the upcoming GBL Season 2.
Prepare for battle, Trainers, and good luck in Season 2!